A Note to My Family (Mom's Side)

The holidays are supposed to be a time for gatherings, family dinners (whether they are blood or not), and fun festivities.  Even though I love the holiday season, I meet it with some apprehension.  My family, particularly on my mom's side, has been through a lot of tragedy in the past few years.  The following note is to them (and yes, I will post one directed towards Dad's side at a later date): 

The passing of loved ones and the circumstances surrounding them have placed a dark cloud over the joy and excitement that usually takes over this time of year.  While it is more consuming for some than others, I find it interesting how we all deal with it.  Instead of letting negativity get the best of us, some are able to truly be elated during the holidays because that is how our relatives would want it.  They would never want negativity to put a damper on our happiness-- during the holidays or any other time of the year.  Then there are those who are not able to cope, and despite the best efforts of others, are unable to see anything positive in the wake of tragedy.  That being said, I am so proud to be a part of a family where we are always, ALWAYS, there for each other, notably during the times when we need it the most.  I am consistently amazed at how resilient my family is.  Hundreds of miles separate us, and hardship and blessings bring us together.  If there is anything to be learned, it is truly to live each day to its fullest, not matter how you define it, and let those you love know it.

I love you all!
Carin    

Comments