Welleness Wednesday: My Date with Yoga



Image courtesy of bikramyogacapalaba.com.au




I took yoga while getting my AA at the local community college.  A physical education course was required to get any sort of degree, and I was told that yoga would be a good option.  My yoga instructor was a little, older Japanese guy.  The first thing he did was a headstand, and said by the end of it we would be able to do the same...well, on the wall anyway.  I found that yoga was a great relaxer for me, and while it held no spiritual meaning, I did feel better.  It would be 8 years until I really started it up again.  Now, when I have some time or am winding down, I put on a program and get my yoga on.  Since I'm currently unable to really do any sort of working out aside from walking or light swimming, yoga is great when the nights are cold.  Over time, you realize how much your body has changed, especially when you are not able to do things as easily.  Certain yoga positions are far more difficult to do than I remembered, and some I can no longer do at all.  My flexibility, however, has increased, and my core is slowly regaining strength.


Comments