A Note on the Mackeeper

While at CES, we chanced upon the MacKeeper booth.  MacKeeper (est. 2010) is a program designed to protect and clean your Mac.  All you need to do is download the application, choose a subscription plan, and start running an analysis.  I was a bit skeptical at first because I had seen the pop-ups before, and thought it might be a scam to gain access to information, files, etc.  Please do NOT download it from any pop-up; you're just asking for trouble-- get it legitimately, if you decide to.  I digress.

After CES, they were kind enough to send me a trial key, and I am so glad I used it.  The version I tried was 3.3.1.  After the first scan, my Mac was running far better than it had been.  There is a meter that goes from green to red.  There was a breakdown of everything that was scanned and found.  The problem here is that most people won't read through it, and if they do, might not understand it.  On the scan screen, there is also an option to speak with a live person 24/7.  There are 16 apps that come with the subscriptions, such as Duplicates Finder, Anti-Theft, and Shredder.  This program delivers far more than what meets the eye; it is a comprehensive tools for Mac users that is fool-proof.  Its design makes it a breeze to set up and use, eliminating any chances for complications.

Many people have named it a scam (though I found it to the contrary), and yet many professionals have praised it.  Thoughts?      

Here are a few links to opinions on either side of the fence:

Cult of Mac
TheSafeMac.com
PRWeb.com
SlowInternet.com
technologytell.com

Comments