Makeup Monday: Billy B's Makeup Brushes


Image courtesy of beautylish.com & Billy B Beauty

So, I wrote about the Billy B makeup brushes when I first purchased them years ago (I want to say it's been about 10, or near it).  Now that is has been awhile, I thought I would update you on whether or not they are still kickin'.  Billy Brasfield (Billy B) is an amazing makeup artist who made a name for himself, and has worked on a plethora of celebrities throughout his career.  He has also been an inspiration to countless aspiring MUAs, and I love his work.  

Anyway, he had (literally) just come out with these amazing makeup brushes, and those who attended the seminar were the first to be able to purchase them.  From what I remember, they sold out.  Anyway, I have used them on photo shoots and sets, and they have not fallen apart yet.  Each brush is very well made, lightweight, and the short handle makes them very travel-friendly.  The retractable lip brush has a wonderful enclosure, so you can rest assured that junk won't adhere to it.  The brushes are numbered 1-13 (in the order below), and my favorites are 8 and 9 because of their versatility.  I can line, shade, highlight, contour, you name it, with those two.  Of the brushes, the number 3 has started to lose its bristles, but it has had a lot of wear.   Aside from that, they look the same as the day I purchased them.

Over time, you learn what does and does not work.  For instance, nobody really needs an extra large powder brush...what on earth would you need it for, aside from dusting the shelves?!  Okay, maybe if you're doing body work, but still, it's not a necessity.  The density of Billy B's brushes are damn near perfect, and each brush can be used to create a wide array of looks.  Most brushes are labeled something like "Foundation", "Eyebrow", "Highlight", etc., but that doesn't mean it can be solely used for that purpose.  I can't tell you how many brushes I have that have some sort of label, which I never follow.  One of my favorite brushes to use on lips is actually marketed as an eyeliner brush.  That is why I love his number system, and why he chose that sort of labeling.  It allows the consumer to decide how s/he will utilize each brush.  These invaluable tools are available on beautylish.com.

 
Mr. Billy B!  Image courtesy of Billy B.



Comments