My First Best Friend and My Bestest-Best Friend

Normally, Saturdays are reserved for small businesses, but today I'm doing something a little bit different.

People come and go throughout your time on this planet.  Some people believe that individuals enter their lives for a reason, even if it is short-lived.  Have you ever had that one friend who you just instantly connected with, and no matter how many years separated you (communication-wise), you could just pick up where you left off?  That kind of friendship is very rare.  The me now is much different than the me decades ago.  I was very reclusive, and did not socialize easily.  That was partially due to being raised around a lot of adults, and partially due to the separation anxiety I had (so glad I don't have that problem anymore!).

Sally was my first best friend, and when she moved away in the 2nd grade, it was difficult.  I can remember sleepovers at her house, and these really cool color-changing, purple Kool-Aid cups.  We used to go to Big Bear, and our families both had places, we would sometimes randomly be there on the same weekend.  We also used to play dress-up and dance around.  She has recently moved, but last year we were able to meet up briefly.  It's amazing how time flies!  It was probably 15 years or so since we had last seen each other, and it was like time stood still.  We have grown (obviously), and she has a beautiful daughter and super entertaining husband, and conversation just flowed.    

Early on in grade school, I met Stephanie.  Steph and I became fast friends, and even though we rarely see each other now (it has been at least 10 years), it's the same; time just stands still.  She ended up moving during elementary school as well, and since then, I have never had another friend like her.  This is not, by any stretch, anything against my best friends (OP, Jess, Tink, my Twister, etc.); it was just different.  I can remember, prior to her moving, spending time in her room.  She had this really cool little playroom that was walled off, like a secret closet.  Sometimes we would go swimming or spend the weekend at Grandpa's boat, shelling mussels from the dock.  And there was that one weekend my mom took us to the Embassy Suites for a "girl's night out"--they had a pretty cool pool from what I remember.  Life was so much simpler when we were kids.   

Part of me wishes I hadn't let so much time go by, and I don't want to blame it on life getting in the way, but it does.  The older I get, the faster time seems to go.  I can remember being a freshman in high school, thinking I would never graduate.  Now, I am in the dissertation phase of my PhD, and another year has come and gone.  I have a beautiful cat daughter, a wonderful life partner, and things are slowly going on the up-and-up.  Don't take those kind of friendships for granted.  You never know what kind of curve balls life will throw you, and sometimes your friends are all you've got.  Admittedly, I am awful at keeping in touch with people, but am working on bettering that part of me.  I love and miss them both, and can't wait to see them again.  Maybe it's time for a road (and plane) trip.  

Comments