Sacrifice



To my parental units:

I know that things didn't always come easy.  You both were brought up in very different households.  Mom, your parents experienced The Great Depression and didn't have a lot of money until you and two of your siblings were grown and gone.  Dad, your parents had to suffer through the interment camps, and despite your brother being born in one, everyone made it out.  They were release with what they could carry, and had to start completely over.  They (my grandparents) sacrificed so much to make sure there was food on the table. 

Fast forward a couple of decades and you two are married.  Then, after some time, I was born.  Unlike my younger brother, I was born early...three months early.  I wasn't expected to make it, but somehow I did.  You and dad sacrificed so much time, making the nearly two-hour drive to see me every day after work.  Grandma and Grandpa went sometimes, but I don't know that Baachan and Jiichan did.  When I came home, I was on monitors and you two had to make sure everything was okay.  It was hard emotionally and financially, and you were so lucky to have the support you did.  Luckily, when my brother came along four years later, he was healthy and full-term. 

I was lucky to not have the plethora of health problems associated with prematurity.  Even though we have always had our spats, you have (for the most part) been supportive in whatever I was doing.  I can remember asking why you two decided to have kids.  Growing up, I was picked on periodically because I was mixed, and not just by classmates.  Family (on my White side) would says things, which made me fill that I didn't belong.  Now, I am comfortable enough with who I am to tell them to f**k off.  Why can't we all just see each other for who we are and not our skin color, ethnicity, and/or race?  Anyhow, in the video below the people were asked, "Do you have anything to say to your parents?"...and yeah, I do.

I know I don't say it often, but I really appreciate everything you do and have done for me, especially financially.  You could have been like other parents and literally kicked me out when I went to college, but you didn't.  Mom, Dad, thank you.  I love you!

- Me




---


I know that this video focuses on Asian immigrants, and wish they would do videos on Americans who have come from all over the world.  Of course there are outliers, but in general, people have made some sort of sacrifice for the betterment of their family.  It can be a hard thing to just head to a new country, especially when you don't have a job laid out and are essentially alone.  Hope you like it, and that it makes you think about those who have sacrificed for you, whether or not they are your parents.  Thanks, Buzzfeed!

 
                                                 **Video courtesy of Buzzfeed

Comments