Gadget Travel Essentials, Vol. 1

There are so many gadgets out there that it can be difficult to decide what to take, especially when we travel.  What items do I need to take?  Which cables will I need?  How will I pack them?  How much room will they take up?  These are a few items I like to take whether I am flying or driving to my destination.

1.  Macbook Air + Charger  ($899.00 and up)

Image courtesy of apple.com




I am so glad that I was able to purchase the MacBook Air.  It was awhile ago (mine is the 2011... I think), but it still runs as well as the day I purchased it.  I chose it for several reasons.  It has everything I need program-wise with ample storage.  Another big selling point was the weight.  It weighs next to nothing (~3lbs.), so I carry it with ease.  Since I have neck and back problems, it is difficult to carry weight.  If you are in the market for one, I suggest that you look at the refurbished section first.  Anything that needs replacing is fixed, so you pretty much get a new computer with the same warranty for less.  If you are in education or are a student, they also have educational pricing


2.  Western Digital MyPassport  (~59.99 and up)

Image courtesy of Western Digital

I love WD.  My friend gave me a MyBook awhile back, and it is what I back up everything to.  I do a lot of travel, and it was quite cumbersome to pack.  When I saw the MyPassport on sale at Target, I couldn't pass it up.  This mini version of the MyBook takes up about as much room as an iPhone 6.  I purchased the one for Mac with 1 TB of storage.  They also make them for PCs in a variety of styles, colors, and shapes depending on the specs.  I can back up everything regardless of where I am, which allows me to have another back-up and clear up space on my computer.     

3.  GoalZero Flip 10 Recharger  ($29.99)

Image courtesy of GoalZero

This power stick is awesome!  I received mine at CES, and take it everywhere.  It is important that you know it does NOT come with a cable for the iPhone 6.  The cable is for Android phones.  That being said, it is compatible with any cable, and since I always have extra iPhone 6 and iPad cables in my pack, the lack of one is not an issue.  This power stick weighs 2.5oz, and has the following dimensions:  3.6 x 0.75 x 0.75 in.  The USB allows me to charge the power stick in the USB port on my computer and my phone simultaneously.  Charge it at night, and when you wake, unplug the power stick and toss it in your bag or pocket.    

4.  AfterShokz Blues 2  ($99.95)

Image courtesy of AfterShokz

Image courtesy of AfterShokz













If you haven't already, check out my post on these Bluetooth bone-conduction headphones.  They are perfect for the gym, airport, plane, and anywhere else you are.  They are lightweight and have a continuous play time of 6 hours (standby time = 10 days).  The Bluez 2 will never hurt your ears since they rest just beyond the tragus.  They also allow you to hear everything around you.  Remember: Safety first!  Each pair comes with a charging cable, carrying bag, and reflectors that are perfect for the night.      

5.  Clarisonic  ($99.99 and up)
Image courtesy of Clarisonic

Okay, I know you are probably thinking that a skincare tool shouldn't be in this list, but hear me out.  Plenty of men care about their skin, and if you don't, you should.  Clarisonic helps you to put your best face forward by providing a deep clean with its oscillating brush.  They come with a carrying case (Mia 2), and one charge will hold for at least two weeks even with regular use.  Toss it in your grooming kit (charge it so you don't need to take the cable), and ensure that your skin will always look its best.   
 

Comments