Taking Up a Little Less Space in the Landfill with Facekins

Image courtesy of Facekins.com


I was sent a sample of Facekins to try out, and I am in L-O-V-E!  For those of you who don't know, Facekins are washable, reusable fabric facial pads. 

I took these with me while I worked camp, and they were such a blessing!  I didn't have to gauge the amount of cotton facial pads and cotton balls I would need, and the Facekins took up far less room in my kit!  Since I wash my face at least twice a day (morning, night, and in the shower of course!) and always use makeup remover and toner, I go through a ton of cotton.  Okay, not literally a ton, but you know what I mean.  It is one of the softest products to ever touch my face!  It reminded me of something that would be used during a luxury spa treatment. 

I also found myself using less product.  At first, I thought it was too good to be true Facekins, but no.  I tested out how far one spray of toner would go on a cotton pad versus the Facekins.  Both items were the round-shape, and were about the same in width.  I tried to do things as error- and bias-free as possible.  I used the same amount of pressure on the spray nozzle, held the spray bottle at the same distance, and as I said, just one spray.  To make sure that the temperature didn't affect the outcome, both products were used within a few minutes of each other.  My results were that the cotton pad, even though it distributed the product fairly evenly in the beginning, it was nearly gone by the time I was done.  The product on the Facekins pad, however, lasted throughout the application process, which was the same as the process for the cotton pad, and is most likely due to its composition.      

Here is how my experience went (and I still do this at home):

-  Morning routine, side 1 used.
-  Night routine, side 2 used.
-  Wash after night routine.
-  Let it air dry while I slept.
-  Repeat.

Now, of course you can throw them in the washing machine.  Because of our location, I couldn't do that, but it also wasn't necessary.  I can see how useful having Facekins are.  For men and others with stubble, these are a wonderful option because you won't have a bunch of cotton fibers hanging around.

If you are working on a set clients may not be the most receptive because of the sanitation issue.  This can be avoided by having plenty on-hand, and never using a side more than once.  You should also have a bag handy for the dirty ones.  These cannot be cleansed the same as brushes can when you're on a set.  As the site says, each side should only be used one time and should be washed after.  I know this shouldn't have to be said, but I'm going to anyway, do not use the same pad on more than one person.  It is important to note that if you use it for makeup application, it will stain.  Even though it should not stain when removing makeup with a remover, it may discolor over time.       

I love that they are:

-  Ultra-plush
-  Reusable
-  Come in a variety of shapes & sizes
-  Multifunctional
-  Soft enough for those with very sensitive skin
-  Saves money (I won't have to spend near that much on cotton anymore)
-  Saves landfill space
-  Handmade and packaged in Southern California  

Ladies, they also make nursing pads!  They help to alleviate soreness, and even work for women who are sensitive before/during menstruation.

Thank you so much, Connie!

View their FAQ page and shop!

Comments