7-Day Challenge: Minimalism

This week I have decided to focus on minimalism.  I never really thought about how much "stuff" I was accumulating until I moved some things to storage.  Holy s**t!  I have more than enough items.  Do I think that people should never spend or buy things?  No.  But, I want to see what it's like to focus on being present and here rather than on what I want to buy.  Plus, my wallet will surely thank me.   This will be a huge challenge because I am a sucker for samples.  If it is something I will use, then I'll take it, but other than that, I will, "...just say no."

Monday:  Random Thoughts

Today is the first day of this week-long challenge, and there are so many thoughts running through my head.  Am I over-thinking this?  Are the associations I am making valid?  What is consumerism saying about us as humans and as a society?  Why do I keep things thinking I'll use them later, but in reality I never do?  Do "things" really make us happy?  Why am I so organized with work and school, but not at home?  Will this help increase my productivity?

I never used to associate possessions with the many facets of health.  They were always separate.  The older I get, the more I realize that "things" may really be affecting my health in more ways than one.  There are times when I look around and think that I will go crazy because of all of the clutter.  Or, I look at what I have and realize how grateful I am for everything.  And then there are times when I wonder why I have so much.  Maybe if I scaled down my inventory, I would be happier overall.  Not just because the space would be less cluttered, but there would be less distractions, and I could really focus on just being.  Not to mention the money saved that could be put towards a trip or something really special.  Do you think I'm taking this a little too seriously? Moving on...

It is the first day.  Today I will focus on de-cluttering my sleeping area.  It's kind of an odd setup, and there isn't much space.  That being said, I have managed to cram a ridiculous amount of items in this crazy-small space.  After watching tiny house/small space videos, I've gotten a better idea of how I want to go about clearing this area.  First I will take stock on what I have.  Then, I will make piles of what I need to keep, donate, and toss.  Until I return...

An hour later, and I already have a trash bag of things I can donate!  The items consist mostly of clothes, but it's a start.  I love to buy shirts (pants/bottoms, not so much), and I have some that I completely forgot I had.  Many were given to me during CES, and I realized that I've never worn most of them.  Maybe someone else can benefit from the shirts I have decided to donate.

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday:  Less is More?

I've been watching a lot of movies throughout the decades, and even in film, you can see the hike in consumerism just in the props.  I am learning that less really may be more in some cases.  Over the past three days, I went through boxes that ha been stored in the garage.  I found three HUGE storage boxes of items to donate.  While part of me would like to sell off what I can, my heart says to donate.  I will be taking some items down to Skid Row, and the rest will go to Out of the Closet.  Seeing so many items really makes me realize how much I have.  It also forces me to see how much I've spent over time.  While the majority of items were given to me, a fair amount are items I've purchased.  My next venture will be to go through the shed.

Friday:  Still a Work in Progress

It's Friday!  The weekend is upon us, and the house is decorated just in time for the holidays.  I am still sifting through everything I have accumulated.  There is a "keep" box, "donate" box, and "trash" pile.  Thus far, the donation box has grown exponentially, and there has been little to toss.  Items I thought I would keep ended up needing a new home, as I no longer use them.  I did find a few appliances I was looking for.  The only thing I'm focused on now is finding a particular collection, and making sure I don't start the cycle of accumulation again.


Comments