Zero-Waste Beauty with Ethique



Our friends at Ethique sent us some amazing zero-waste, sustainable, eco-friendly hair and body care.  Everything they offer comes in compostable/biodegradable packaging, making their products truly zero-waste!  And, a portion of profits go towards charities, such as The Orangutan Project and International Animal Rescue.  If only all companies were as transparent.  Now, on to the review.

1.  Glow Solid Deodorant in Lavender and Vanilla


For those of you who are looking for a natural alternative to deodorant, or something new to try out, this block is worth a shot.  This deodorant kept me odor-free all day, and the scent sticks-- well, it did for me.  The soothing lavender and warm vanilla adds to its positives.  The bar also travels well.  I have an old square tin that I pop the bar into when I head to the gym or wherever I travel.  Some natural deodorants don't last.  I've used sticks, pastes, and unpackaged solids.  There are very few brands that have lived up to their claims, and this is one of them.  If you happen to let it sit out, you may find that is a bit dry and will take longer to apply.  Should that happen, you can scrape off a small amount, and then apply it.  You should be good to go!

2.  Gingersnap Face Scrub (all skin types)





This scrub is one of my favorite products from Ethique.  It exfoliates, moisturizes, and I can get at least 3 uses out of each square.  Break off a square, just like you would a piece of chocolate, and then, crumble a bit of the scrub onto your hands.  A fourth of one square yields about a teaspoon of product once it has been crumbled.  I like to add a bit of water to make a paste.  Slough off dead skin cells by massaging the scrub into your face, and rinse off with warm water.  It's easy, eco-friendly, and zero-waste.  Plus, it smells like Gingersnap cookies!  I store what's left in a metal container, but their compostable box works just fine.

3.  Frizz Wrangler (Dry and/or Frizzy Hair)


With the added humidity my hair has been a mess.  It tends to frizz at the top, so it looks like peach fuzz on top of my hair, if that makes sense.  Plus, I'm growing my hair out to donate it, which means the ends are starting to get quite dry,  One way to combat the frizz and dryness is by using the Frizz Wrangler.  This bar (as well as their others) produces a nice lather that gently cleanses hair.  This bar does not weigh my hair down, and it does not make it more greasy.  What it does do is help to tame the frizz.  And, as with all of their products, I can take it anywhere without the fear of it leaking.

4.  Damage Control (Normal-Dry hair)


In the mood for a dose of mint?  This bar hydrates hair and has an wonderful pick-me-up scent from the peppermint oil.  Mica is used to color it a beautiful shade of aqua.  It is great to use first-thing, and it helped my troubled scalp.  I love the density of all of their bars.  You definitely get more uses out of them than their competitors; plus, there are no harsh chemicals nor synthetic dyes.  

5.  Bombshell (self-tanner)


The white on the bar is the protective paper.

This revolutionary bar is the "World's First Self-Tanning Bar"!  And, as you may have guessed, it is also zero-waste, vegan, cruelty-free, etc.  The bar is a great way to keep up the sun-kissed skin look long after summer.  It also works to give a little glow to those why may not tan so well.  You can also use this sunless tanner to keep you summer glow all year long!  I don't have a first-hand experience to tell because it is the mystery product!  Be our friends on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram and get the latest details.

Not sure what to buy?  You can try one of their sampler packs, which is how I first discovered them.  I bought mine on Amazon.  I love that they come with a variety of products to test out.


We hope you enjoyed this post.  What are your go-to solid alternatives?  Let us know!

Stay beautiful!


A note about solid shampoo/conditioner:  When using the solid bars in the shower, be sure to keep them in a place where they can dry.  If they sit in water, not only will bacteria accumulate, you'll also lose product.  Also, remember not to keep them in hot places because they will melt.  To use the solid shampoos:  Wet hair, swirl the bar around your hair a couple of times, lather (of course the conditioner won't lather), and rinse.  Apply the solid conditioner after shampooing.  It won't lather.  You can leave it in for a few minutes if you'd like, and then rinse it out.  I feel the full effect of solid conditioners after my hair has dried completely.

Comments