The Tiny Tower


Since having a spinal fusion I have needed to use a laptop stand to keep from constantly looking down.  For years I took one with me, the folding table type, everywhere I went.  I still use it, but now it stays put in the house.  When I would travel, the biggest issue was with its size.  I always had to be mindful of where I sat.  During conferences I would have to make sure using it would not get in anyone's way.  Because the legs angle out, it takes up far more room than it should.  That being said, I loved that the computer would be at the perfect height and that it was relatively portable.  Yes, it was bulky, but it did the job.  Ultimately, I needed one that was more travel-friendly and space-saving.

The assembled stand.  Takes less than 30 seconds to set up.

After browsing through YouTube and the Internet for a replacement for when we are traveling, I saw the video for a Tiny Tower.  I immediately loved the size, sturdiness, portability, height adjustment, and ease of use.  The biggest turn-off was the price, but more on that later.  With the current one, the first thing I had to do was check to make sure it would fit the table.  I also watched several videos on compact laptop stands, though many of them were not as portable as the advertisements made them seem.  The internal struggle was real.  Do I fork over that kind of money on one item?  I kept thinking of what I could do with that money...or save it for a rainy day.  But then I thought about benefits of having this stand.  Unfortunately there aren't many reviews, and since the product is relatively new (I believe it started shipping just a few months ago), there probably won't be any for some time.  Ultimately I took the plunge and hoped for the best. 

A negative is that everything sticks to the non-slip arms. 

Currently the Tiny Tower is quite expensive at $89.00 on Amazon (free shipping with Prime).  I haven't traveled all that much with it, but I'll be updating this review as I do.  Overall, thus far, it has been worth the price.  This stand is travel-friendly, weighs in at 1.7 lbs. and comes with a carrying pouch (as well it should for the price).  It is sturdy, and the 3M non-slip polymer on the arms keep the laptop in place.  I have a clamshell case on the top and bottom of my laptop, and even that won't slide.  The base also has the non-slip grip, which prevents the stand from moving.  While the arms feel a bit wobbly, and if you tap the laptop there will be movement, the laptop won't budge.  It's simply due to its design.  There are also concealed "fingers" inside the arms that can be slid out for added protection, if you think the non-slip grip isn't enough (definitely a plus).  The stand can also be adjusted to make a laptop eye-level for nearly any height.  While one of the videos shows the user adjusting the height with the laptop on the stand, I don't recommend that.  I've noticed that the sliding bit can get a bit stuck, and the last thing you want to do is accidentally knock the laptop off of the stand trying to raise or lower it.  If it suits you, you can purchase a larger pouch that will hold the Tiny Tower, a mouse, and a portable keyboard, though it's not necessary.

As a reviewer noted, this stand does not allow you to tilt the laptop, though I've found I don't really need to.  I always did with the other table, since I was also typing using the laptop's keyboard.  When using the Tiny Tower, you can still type without an extra keyboard, though it is far more uncomfortable without the tilt.  While I love this stand (so far) it is incredibly overpriced.  I have seen other laptop stands-- that aren't as portable but would serve its purpose, for anywhere between $30.00-$70.00.  They could have easily priced this in that range.  If you care about color, they have limited edition colors to match your MacBook!  Gold, Rose Gold (more pink than a rose and gold balance), and Space Gray are available for a limited time.  The standard color is silver.

Pros:
-  Sturdy.
-  Lightweight.
-  Portable.
-  Non-slip arms and base.
-  Zippered carrying case included.

Cons:
-  No tilting ability.
-  Price.
-  You will need a separate keyboard, unless you don't mind reaching up to type.

If you have the money to spare, and are looking for a travel-friendly and sturdy laptop stand, we highly recommend giving this a try.  Do you have a favorite laptop stand?  Let us know, and we may get a chance to review it.

Stay beautiful!

Comments