Tech Tuesday: Foreo Luna Mini

Foreo Luna Mini.  Image courtesy of foreo.com


No, you're not seeing double.  I did a short review that wasn't really a review, of the Luna mini, awhile back.  I had not yet purchased the Luna Mini, but did shortly after.  During CES 2013, I happened upon the Foreo booth.  My first thought was that it was some kind of pleasure object.  It was around other booths that fit that genre, the items are made from silicone, and they vibrate.  As I was talking to one of their representatives, I was informed that it was a new way to clean your face.  I am an avid Clarisonic user, and have said so from the beginning, but I thought I would give this a try.  I like that it is made of silicone, and that it has a non-porous surface. 

Sorry the photo quality isn't the greatest.  Under the device is the USB cable & Authenticity card.

The package comes with the Luna Mini, USB cable, User Guide, and Authenticity Card.  It is important to register the product when you get it, just in case something goes wrong.  There is no charger or stand; the USB cable simply charges the product from your computer or other wall charger that allows USB cables.

Front: Cleaning brush surface & "on" button.
Back: Deep cleansing surface & waterproof port.



















The device took awhile for me to get used to.  Not that it doesn't now, but especially in the beginning, it felt like all I was doing was vibrating my face.  The Luna mini has two vibration power modes, and will always be on the strongest setting when it is turned on.  I have used those silicone scrubbing pads, and I thought that they cleaned better because there is more control; I could apply as much pressure as I felt necessary, and it could reach all areas of my face.  But, the more I use the Luna Mini, the more I like it.  In my opinion, the Clarisonic gives a deeper clean, but if your skin is sensitive this may be the way to go.  Because of the shape of the Luna mini, it is also difficult to get to certain areas, like the side of the nose, even turning it.  I also don't notice any difference between the front part and the back, with the exception of texture.  I used it one time at night to see how my skin would look and feel after a long day.  It was okay; my skin felt clean, but it was not the deep clean that I needed after my skin had been attacked by the sun, pollution, etc.  I then took to using it in the morning because I don't (necessarily) need something that abrasive after I wake, and it is a good way to start my morning routine.  My skin looks and feels nice, and is prepped for whatever life throws at it.       

Three big pros are its portability, material, and lack of a charger.  I like that I can work on my laptop and charge the device at the same time.  The one thing I really dislike is the absence of auto-shutoff after the suggested usage time.  Clarisonic, Conair facial brush, and Phillips Pure Radiance facial brush have an auto-shutoff feature.  The clear base lights up after one minute, which means it is time to turn it off.  Press and hold the button to do so.  If you don't it will shut off after 3 minutes so you don't overdo it.  Oh, and there is no case...for the money, the least they could have done was thrown in a bag or something to put it in for travel/storage purposes.  Overall, I give it a 7/10; it is worth trying.  You never know if something will work for you unless you do, right?     

The Luna comes in four versions: Luna, Luna mini, Luna for Men, and Luna Luxe.  Each device model is tailored to fit different needs, with varying speeds.  It is also waterproof and can be used with any cleanser.  They also have devices available for professionals as well.  Foreo recently launched the ISSA, which is a silicone toothbrush.  I have yet to get one, but am quite curious to see if it is really worth the hype.  Thoughts?

Luna.  Image courtesy of foreo.com
Luna mini.  Image courtesy of foreo.com














Luna Luxe. Image courtesy of foreo.com
Men's Luna. Image courtesy of foreo.com














I purchased my Luna mini at skintrends.com, which is an authorized online seller.  I do not recommend purchasing this from Amazon, since the items sold have mostly been knock-offs.  Foreo products are also available on their website, and at Sephora, both in-store and online. 

Stay beautiful!

Comments