Wellness Wednesday: Chicken Noodle Soup, Korean Style

I love to cook and try out new recipes.  I'm also, probably, one of the only people who truly loves grocery shopping.  From making vegan/vegetarian dishes to plates that would satisfy any carnivore, there's relatively nothing I won't try.  For awhile, I have been watching Maangchi's Korean food videos (was on a huge Korean food kick for some time).  She is absolutely adorable, and I love her little animations during her videos.  Recently, I went out and bought a ttukbaegi for different foods, and have some radish water kimchi (dongchimi) in the fridge.  So far, I've made several dishes (except those with fish in them, since I'm not huge on it...unless it's swai, sea bass, halibut, or even cod, since they aren't fishy), including her rice cake soup (tteokguk), which is my personal favorite.  But today, we feature her chicken noodle soup (dak-kalguksu).  It is so easy to make, and you can purchase the noodles at any Korean market.  When I was at VONS, they even had them!  They say "knife cut noodle" on the package.

Chicken noodle soup is said to be good for the soul.  While I like the kind my grandma makes, with the egg noodles, carrots, and celery, sometimes I want a variation.  This soup is so simple, and can be made for vegans and vegetarians.  I'm sure some of you are wondering if that defeats the purpose--making a non-poultry version, but I don't know that it does.  You can replace the chicken with vegetables and make a veggie broth, or use the canned kind.  I love that this recipe is so simple.  Simple ingredients, and you're not filling your body with a bunch of fillers.  It's wonderful, especially on a rainy and/or cold day.  I'm a HUGE fan of garlic, so this recipe is right up my alley.  I do recommend to cook the noodles, whether you make or buy them, separately because the flour and starch can thicken the broth and make it a bit gelatinous.  You also have to stir them right away so they don't become a ball of noodles (I use chopsticks for better separation).  Since I'm not a fan of fish sauce, I use a bit of soup soy sauce.   

The video below is owned by +Maangchi Kim:



Comments