Wellness Wednesday: Let's Talk Periods

Some things should be kept private, but this is an exception.  Until recently, there wasn't much talk on what we experience during periods.  "Aunt Flo(w)", "rag", "The Red Tide", call it what you will...nobody likes periods.  Okay, maybe they are, in general, a relief to get at times, but overall, they suck.  I, personally, experience low back pain and a sore chest.  There are times when my back hurts so much that even laying down is uncomfortable.  My chest swells and is so sore that it hurts to just take a shower or wear a bra (so glad they have padded sports bras now!).  I will never forget an experience I had one night at Disneyland.  My "twister" and I were walking towards the Jungle Cruise.  It was quite crowded, and this guy next to me was talking to his girlfriend.  He said something to her and stretched out his arm, whacking my right in the chest.  I grabbed my chest and thought I was going to pass out...He looked over, eyes as wide as saucers, and couldn't be more apologetic.  His girlfriend hit him, asked if I was okay, and gave him a ration of crap.  Anyway, I couldn't fully blame him.  There were a number of factors, but it still sticks in my mind.  

Not to go into too much detail, but I figure I'd give a synopsis of what my body goes through.  The week prior is when the chest soreness and low back pain starts.  First, it's there, but not too noticeable.  As the days go on, the pain gets worse.  I haven't had cramps or headaches associated with periods in probably 20 years, which I am grateful for.  Once things start to flow, my chest soreness lessens and the swelling begins to subside.  However, I can't say the same for my back.   In fact, as I type this, I keep hoping this grossness goes away.  It will in a week.  I am fortunate because it is only heavy the first 3 days, then it's almost nothing for the rest of the week.  Oh, and did I mention I gain 10 pounds (and insane bloating)?!  It's ridiculous.     

So many women I know experience heavy periods the whole week, and have days where they can't even get out of bed.  I have been so lucky to not have it that bad, and can't imagine what that is like.  I used to use Pamprin or Midol, but they don't work for me anymore.  One way I help alleviate the effects of the symptoms is through yoga.  It sounds weird, but all of the stretching and relaxing really helps, especially with the back pain.  The type of pad also helps.  I really like the Target brand (ultra thin, with wings, of course!) because they stay put.  We are so lucky to have options.  I remember when they only had those huge brick-like pads...they were awful.  Anyway, does anyone remember the curved tampons?  Those were to the only type I used, and when they were discontinued, I never used them again.  When things become spotty, I love the always brand liners because they have adhesive all around and conform to you.  I also keep some wipes on-hand because you never know when you will need them.  Kudos to all women who survived periods (and those who still live) without all of these wonderful products.  I don't know how they did/do it!    


Image courtesy of target.com & always
Image courtesy of target.com


  











Image courtesy of target.com & always


 always says, "Have a happy period," but it's difficult.  How do you cope?

Comments